Thursday, January 28, 2010

Pearce turns white!


I have one of the most beautiful little boys on the face of the planet. I know I am biased, but sometimes, honestly, it is his saving grace that allows him to make it to the next day. Last night while he was taking his bath, he had lathered the soap on his hands and fingers and had reapplied to his arms several times. Then it dawned on him, "I'm turning white! That's not in the book! I'm not supposed to turn white!" I was so startled by his comment that I was trying to formulate some answer, but what answer could I possibly come up with for my Hispanic son who was adopted by two VERY critically Caucasian parents? Some might even say pigment challenged. Then he looked up with those big black eyes, grinned and said, "I'm kidding. I'm not really turning white." He rolled on his tummy to rinse off. Where in the world does he come up with this stuff? Normally I'm pretty good at staying ahead of him, but this one came out of nowhere.What do you do when something comes out of nowhere that requires a response? I was trying to gather my wits, and in a split second I was formulating my thoughts on how God made us all different. Then I had thought I'd go over his adoption story with him and how I know that God had his path chosen before he was born, and that his path was to lead to me. Can you believe all that went through my head? When in reality, he didn't need my insight or wisdom after all. Maybe instead of trying to fix every problem, make everything better, and do all the things I think I should do…maybe I should wait. The Bible says those who wait on the Lord will renew their strength. Lord knows I need all my strength with my boy. Maybe I should wait to see how my children process it and help them figure it out in their own way because I may make more of a problem than what was originally there!
Lord, give me wisdom!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comments.