Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Heard Chirp, Chirp, Chirp, Bahrrr, Snore, Snort


Monday night, I was exhausted, wiped-out, toast, and I just knew I was going to get a great night's rest. No sooner had I laid my head on the pillow, I heard a high-pitched, odd-sounding frog chirping outside. At first it was so high and loud I thought it was a bird, but it wasn't. What made it so annoying was the fact that it chirped consistently every few seconds (for the next three hours). So, I nestled down in my bed doing my best to ignore it when my husband put our miniature beagle in for the night. Apparently, Jade, our beagle, was not ready to go to bed because she started baying. Chirp, chirp, chirp, bahrrrrrr. Chirp, chirp, chirp, bahrrrrr. Somehow my husband was able to fall asleep with this symphony and began snoring. Chirp, chirp, chirp, bahrrrr, snore, snort. Chirp, chirp, chirp, bahrrrrr, snore, snort. All I wanted to do was go to sleep for crying out loud!
Have you ever wanted something so badly but didn't get it? That is where I was. I wanted to sleep desperately, but it was close to midnight before sleep came. Short of having frog legs for supper the next night, excommunicating the dog from the family and putting a pillow over my husband's mouth and nose, my goal of sleeping 8 hours was not going to happen that night. Needless to say, I was a little on the cranky side the next day.
Has God ever laid something on your heart to do, and you want to follow but there are so many different distractions keeping you from it? I am easily distracted at times. There are frogs, dogs, and husbands. There is work, kids and volunteering. There are headaches and fatigue. But the bottom line is God has called you to a purpose. Your purpose has to do with the spiritual gift He specifically chose for you. If you don't know what your purpose is then make it a priority to find out. And once you find out, employ it. Use it. I'm convinced that people who use their spiritual gifts in their daily life, in their work, and in their homes are more contented people. Why? Because they are working inside their giftedness which energizes them. Because they know whose they are and how He wants to use them. There's peace in that.
Sometimes we have to, we need to shut out the world, so we can have clear communication with God. Ear plugs might have been helpful that night, but what would have been most helpful is a room far away from the noises. He doesn't want to compete for our attention. He's the still small voice. Seek Him. You will find Him. Ask Him to search you and to show you the gift He has given you and how He wants you to use it. Meditate on His word. You can do this.

1 comment:

  1. I cannot get away from the spiritual gift lessons. It just so happens that I am reading through 1 Corinthians and it was in my David devo today. My goodness!!!! Somebody is trying to get a point across. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments.