Monday, December 16, 2013

In Her Sandals - Women of Christmas


I’m really a Nobody, but I am content. I live with my parents, but I’m betrothed to a carpenter. One day, I’ll have my own home. I’ll move out of my parents’ home into his home and make it our home. In most ways, I think I’m ready. I’ve been under my mother’s feet since I was old enough to walk. I was sweeping the floor by three and helping to wash dishes. I began learning to bake and cook at a young age as well. When I was young, I used to love mashing the dough between my fingers. As I grew, I learned more things like washing clothes and sewing. I was happy to learn. We didn’t have much, but we shared what we could. Like I said, by the standard around here, I’m really nothing special. I know a lot is expected of me when I become a wife, so I do my best at whatever I put my hand to do. That is the best I can do, as I live unnoticed around here.

            I really did not expect to live any differently than the way I was raised, poor and humble. I never expected to wear fine linen or eat rich foods. That’s just not my lot in life, and while some may be striving for those things, I don’t. I’m happy. My needs are met. I need nothing more.

            There are some days that draw longer than others. There are days that become monotonous, but in the big scheme of things, my life could be so much worse. There’s comfort in monotony. You know what to expect. Life is predictable, but my life was not destined to be “normal.” When I thought I was unnoticed, El Roi saw me. When I was doing my daily chores, Yahweh observed me. Then one day as I was working on my handwork, I was startled so badly. I about jump out of my skin. It’s not like he knocked on the door or anything, and when I’m by myself, I tend to be deep in thought. So when he appeared you can imagine how my heart jumped into my throat.

            Greetings, you who are highly favored! The Lord is with you (Vs 28).

Oh my word! Is he an angel? He’s got to be an angel, but he must be a LOST angel. I am not highly favored. I am a poor, young woman. Plus, the Lord doesn’t speak to someone like me. As I’m trying to process and all these thoughts are running through my head, he speaks again, and once again, I’m a bit rattled.

Do not be afraid, Mary, you have found favor with God. You will be with child and give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus. He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of David, and he will reign over the house of Jacob forever; his kingdom will never end.”

Ummmm, he KNOWS my name, and we have NOT been introduced. My mind is in a whirlwind of thoughts. I have found favor with God. How? My eyes tear up. How is this possible? And I’m going to have a baby? I’m a virgin. I know I’m young, but I know how babies are made. I struggle to find my voice.

How will this be, since I am a virgin?

The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called the Son of God. Even Elizabeth your relative is going to have a child in her old age, and she who was said to be barren is in her sixth month. For nothing is impossible with God.

I pinch myself. This is really happening. How exciting! I’m so excited for Elizabeth, and I truly believe that nothing is impossible with God.

I am the Lord’s servant. May it be to me as you have said.

I fall to my knees and bow my head, and I feel the Most High hovering over me. Is that singing I hear?

I’m still trying to process everything that the angel told me when my family begins arriving at home. I tell them a messenger came and that Elizabeth is pregnant. They are surprised, and I tell them that I am to go to her. At first there are some concerns about my going alone because this is the furthest I will have gone by myself, but I convince them that I’m ready. With their blessing, I go.

I pack a few things and a little food and water, and I head out the next morning. It’s in the evening when I’m alone with my thoughts that I think about what the angel said. I never really knew that God was watching me and that even when no one else appreciated the hard work I did, He found favor in me. I’m so unworthy of this honor, but if God trusts me to do this, then I trust He will deliver me. Who is going to believe me? Yes, I’m still a virgin. Yes, I’m pregnant. No, Joseph’s not the father. No, I didn’t sleep around. I wasn’t unfaithful to Joseph. The father? The Holy Spirit, God. He’s the Father of my unborn baby. I think it sounds too good to be true. I’m thankful for the opportunity, but I know there will be many who won’t believe me.

I put my hand on my flat belly and grin. One day, there will be a full-grown baby in here, and he will rule. The angel said Jesus will reign over the house of David and that his rule will have no end. I’m not really sure what all that means. But wouldn’t it be neat to live with the king?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comments.