Tuesday, August 7, 2012

My Southern Upbringing Put to the Test

Today, I’m thankful for my southern upbringing. My momma taught me to be gracious, as gracious as possible under different situations, and today that lesson was put to the test.


Today, I wore a dress to work. I had to actually get dress and drive into work. So I say, “I dressed like a girl today.” I don’t often wear dresses to work. One time I wore a dress above the knee to work, and I still hear about it from the guys from time-to-time. “Hey, do you still have that little, blue dress?” Seriously, like they've never seen a set of legs before. So, today I had on a dress that I bought for $10 on sale at J.C. Penney's. It’s hot pink with white flowers. It’s a summer dress, and yes, I had on a pearl necklace and bracelet carrying a my daughter’s straw hand bag she got from Gynelle. I went old school. It was hot, and I didn’t want anything touching me. After ordering our food, I made my way to a table and sat down, and Deanna joined me. I don’t get to eat out often any more since I work from home, and I live in the boon docks, so going out to eat with a girlfriend is a real treat. I miss my girlfriends. We had no sooner sat down and started visiting when a male waiter came up and began talking to me.

I noticed you when you came in today, he said. I figured he was going to say, You reminded me of someone OR I thought you were someone else, but it went somewhere else altogether different. I just wanted to tell you how beautiful you look. Right about now, I kind of scan around to see if any LSP or SPD officers I know are there and are pulling one on me. I’m an old-fashion kind of guy, and I appreciate it when ladies wear dresses. I’m so knocked off my center I want to crack up laughing because I can’t believe this is happening. He went on to complement my whole ensemble and was most sincere. I’m not sure, but I think he said beautiful three or four times. I graciously thank him, and he walks off to do his job. That’s when I snicker…when he’s out of earshot.

Deanna and I just look at each other grinning not sure of what to make of the whole situation, and just as Deanna says, “Be sure to show him your rock the next time he comes around,” I look over her shoulder. There was a woman sitting in scrubs, making the crazy sign around her temple, and mouthing “freak.” I grin and want to laugh again because now this bystander has put her two cents into the situation. It’s not that I look pretty; it’s that he’s crazy! Personally, I think it took a lot of courage for him to say what he said. I don’t know that I could walk up to a guy in a nice suit and say, “You are looking mighty handsome in that suit.”

Seriously, it’s nice to get complements. My momma taught me not to argue or belittle yourself when someone complements you. You are to graciously say, thank you. I don’t know the waiter’s name, and I may wait a while before I go back, and I may not wear a dress there again, but I do appreciate a complement when I get one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comments.