Sunday, November 18, 2012

More on the Bleeding Woman and Jairus

I am sooooo enjoying teaching this group of women how to read, study and dig deeper in the Word of God. I love listening to them when they “get it.” I love reading their posts on the group wall on Facebook where they post their questions and answers. I love the fact that some had to exercise self-restraint last week before diving into Luke’s version of the bleeding woman. That is exciting to see. I love to see others “get it.” I love hearing them talk about what God showed them personally about where they are in their own life and their own relationship with him. It is so stinkin’ exciting!


After studying this story in Matthew and Mark, one would wonder why even bother reading Luke’s version, right? Truth is, every time you read the story you should read it as if you’ve never read it before. Don’t assume you know the outcome. Choose a character and become that person in the story looking at the events through their eyes. As I looked studied Luke, I put myself in the place of Jairus, the daddy of the dying girl. Do you ever think that God is delaying or dawdling around in answer your prayers? Been there. Done that.

I remember a quote from one of Beth Moore’s Bible study that went along the lines – God is always right on time. He misses a few opportunities to be early, but He’s always right on time.

Jairus had just witnesses Jesus completely healing the bleeding woman and then hearing the woman’s testimony, so when the neighbor came saying to not bother the teacher…surely, his heart sank. Having just seen and heard such a wonderful miracle and wanting the same for his daughter only to have a different outcome must have for a brief moment been disheartening. I wonder if it was easy for Jairus to believe Jesus when he said, “Don’t be afraid, just believe,” or if he was thinking, “Lord, why her? Why not my daughter?” Regardless, Jairus believed. His belief, his faith in Jesus Christ is what ultimately healed his, then dead, daughter. What is harder to overcome – illness or death?

This woman and this daughter are connected to Jesus through the number 12. In the Bible number 12 has signified governing bodies – 12 tribes, 12 disciples. I’m just wondering if this was Jesus’ way to show that he governs the body and the timing of healing, timing of death and timing of life? The Bible says that worrying does not add length to our life…as a matter of fact, it does the opposite. Paul said for him to live is Christ, but to die was his gain. He was ready. No one is ever truly ready to let someone go even when we know it’s time. It just hurts too much…understatement. Ultimately, Jesus is in control whether you like it or not.

I think about the little girl. I wonder if she got to see heaven before Jesus returned her spirit to her. I wonder so many things about this girl. My guessing is that Jesus didn’t want her parents to tell what he had done to say the girl the stigmatism from being considered unclean the rest of her life, but I wonder what she did with the rest of her life. What became of her?

Just because a story ends doesn’t mean the characters within those stories didn’t have the rest of their lives to live. Jesus touches a life, and it is forever changed.

I’m sorry this is a bit rambling, but this is just where my thoughts took me while meditating on this story in Luke.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comments.