Saturday, December 8, 2012

Confessions of a Chocoholic

I have a confession to make. While I may love my husband, I have had a love affair with chocolate since as far back as I can remember. Sometimes a girl just needs a mouth full of chocolate…my thought anyway. I believe chocolate to be one of those “good and perfect gifts” from God described in James.


At the end of a particularly arduous, stressful, anxiety-ridden day in which I didn’t have one nerve that wasn’t frazzled, I told my family I was going to go and soak in the hottest bubble bath I could stand. I explained the only reasons anyone may knock on the door, come through the door or talk to me through the door was if someone was gushing blood (I knew this wouldn’t be Patrick because he would be passed smooth out) or someone was on death’s door. I told them if someone dare approach the door or try to talk to me without blood or near death that I would be the one causing a gushing of blood and that someone would meet their Maker face-to-face that very night. With that understood, I headed to the master bath. That’s when it hit me. I took a detour through the kitchen, grabbed a platter out of the fridge and a fork and quickly escaped to the hot bath and lit candles that awaited me. I slipped into the tub and began to eat.

There are two women in my life that could make the best chocolate pies…the kind with real meringue (or as Grandmother Timmons called it “cat slobber”). You know the kind that has lightly browned curls on top. I’m salivating just thinking about it…seriously. Those women are my Grandmother Timmons and Patrick’s granny who would make that pie for me every time we went for a visit. Both of these wonderful ladies are now making chocolate pies for Jesus in heaven. At any rate, I’ve tasted all kind of chocolate pies to try to find one that can compare, and I had finally found one. It’s at Julianne’s. I had sneaked a half of a chocolate pie into the master bath with me. I'm not talking about a small personal pie. I'm talking a big 9" homemade chocolate pie with real meringue, and I began to eat. I ate, and I ate, and I ate. Girlfriend, let me just tell you I ATE THE WHOLE HALF PIE!  There wasn't a crumb left. I ate it all right there in the bathtub, candlelight, and fading bubbles.

I have never really been an emotional eater. As a matter of fact, I tend to do the opposite when I’m stressed, but sometimes chocolate just hits the spot.

For that evening, my refuge was a tub full of hot bubbles, candles and ½ of a chocolate pie. It’s not always practical or healthy to have this as a refuge, is it?

Psalm 34:8 says, “Taste and see that the Lord is good. Happy is the man who takes refuge in him.” If chocolate pie is good, then God must be off the chain! Taste and see is an invitation to explore and watch God’s handiwork. His Word and His actions go hand-in-hand. They do not contradict each other.

The more you seek after him, the more you dig into the Word, the sweeter the walk. Taste and see!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comments.