Friday, December 21, 2012

Timmons Clan Warped Sense of Humor...I think God has a sense of humor too

My family has a warped sense of humor. When Lori and I were living at home when guys would call, we knew they were serious if they continued to call back because they never knew what to expect. One time when my then boyfriend, now husband called, Lori answered the phone. She told Patrick he would have to call back to see if I would answer the phone because she could not transfer the call. (We only had one phone line.) He called back. And who answered? Why, Lori, of course. She told him the same thing and hung up on him. He called back. I think I got the phone from Lori about his fifth try. That is the kind of warpedness we exhibit and that’s to the people we know! One time Lori, Daddy and I were out in public together unchapperoned and  we decided to start staring up in the sky and see what happened especially when one of us would walk off. It was hilarious! There were people who would walk by looking up to see what we were looking at. There were several that stopped and then we left them standing there looking up at nothing. Why? Because we could. Dorky? Yes. Entertaining? To us, most definitely!
What brought this last story to my recollection is that I’m reading Acts right now. I think by far it is the most action-packed book of the Bible. In chapter one Luke writes about the last moments Christ spent here on Earth before ascending. Verse 10 says, “They were looking intently up into the sky as he was going, when suddenly two men dressed in white stood beside them.” Think about it…A group of believers are seeing the most amazing thing. Jesus is ascending into heaven like watching the plane take off with a loved one. You watch till it disappears. While the believers are still standing there looking up, open mouthed, angels appear suddenly beside them. Have you ever been so startled by someone who has sidled up to you without you knowing it? I think this would have been hilarious to see. I know I would have been jumping out of my skin. The angels were there to remind them of what Jesus had told them. My paraphrase, “Why are you staring gaped mouth? He’s coming back the same way he left. Close your mouth.” Does anyone else see humor in this? I think God did. I wonder if God said, “Hey, watch them jump out of their skin!” I know it’s odd to think about these things, but it helps me to see the people in the Bible as real and not just someone in a book.
Right before Jesus ascended his followers asked him when he would return again, when was he going to restore the kingdom of Israel. Jesus told them in verse 7, “It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own authority.” Basically, it’s none of our business to know when the world as we know it will come to an end. We are to live each day as if it were our last operating in the Spirit and following his direction. We aren’t to be standing around, looking up at the sky, gaped-mouth waiting for him to return. We are to be about our Father’s business. So people…get busy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comments.