Thursday, December 20, 2012

Mayan Calendar -- The Sky Is Falling...

WOW! Tomorrow’s the BIG DAY! December 21, 2012! My daddy’s birthday! Happy Birthday, daddy! What? You think I was going to write the end of the world? In truth, I was browsing the internet on the whole world coming to an end on December 21, 2012, and it prompted my wondering mind to wonder.


                                  How would I live differently if I believed the world was coming to an end?
                     
                                 How would I live believing the apocalypse was happening tomorrow?


                         Would I eat whatever I wanted not fearing the consequences of the calories or cholesterol?

 Would I go on a shopping binge and spend money I don’t have because let’s face it, I wouldn’t be here to foot the bill.

Would I search for long lost friends and loved one? Would I say whatever was on my mind to whoever crossed my path?



Really December 21, 2012, is the end of the Mayan calendar. A new era begins on December 21st. There will be parties of all sorts in countries like El Salvador, Guatemala and Mexico. People are asked to show up very early that morning wearing all white and carrying a white candle. Now, I have to tell you I’m not into the big crowds, but I would love to see that scene. Crowds of people standing in the dark wearing all white holding white candles…I wonder if there will be anything like that in heaven? The mass donned in white raising their voices in worship and praise holding their lit candles (although in heaven we won’t need candles, but I won’t belabor that point). Fields and mountains covered with people wearing white praising God. That’s where I would want to be if I were expecting the world to end. Raising my hands in worship, singing Hallelujah! And waiting in anticipation of his coming surrounded by my family and friends.

There are some days more than others that I’m so ready for it to happen. When I hear of kids being life flighted to hospitals, friends battling cancer and the awful effects of chemo, atrocities being committed on human beings by human beings…I just wonder when enough will be enough.

Truth is the Bible says in Matthew 24:36 that no one knows when the Lord will return, and Matthew 24:42 says we should always be watching for his return. Reminds me of the song title Live Like You Are Dying.

Does this mean I’m going to go buy an all white wardrobe? NOT. What it does mean is that we should live not expecting to be here tomorrow, but instead we live thinking we are entitled to tomorrow, to the next breath.

Seize today and every day as if it is your last. Mend fences while you can. Love on those who don’t deserve it and need it the most. Leave a legacy and a path that others will want to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comments.