Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Have Confidence


My son has known who he is since he was at least 18 months, maybe younger. I refer to him as my "man-baby." When Pearce and I would be in public, women would fawn all over him because he's that cute, but to my mortification at times Pearce would just stare a whole in them. He wouldn't smile. He wouldn't engage them -- the very opposite of my daughter. However, if I were to take Pearce to Lowe's (his happy place from about 1 year old), he would wave and jabber at any man and especially the older men. He would shake their hands and grin. From the time he could move if there was a gathering at our house, the women would migrate to one room and the men to another. Pearce would buck until I let him down, and he would make his way to the room where the men were. I have never seen anything like it in all my life. Although, I have to say my exposure to little boys before Pearce was very limited.
 Pearce has also known not only who he is but what he wants out of this world and how he wants to get it. And WHOA to the person who gets in his way which is usually me. He has such confidence, such strength, and character, and he's only 5 years old!
 I started thinking about his confidence this weekend when he asked me to paint his toenails red like his sister's. I told him his daddy wouldn't be very pleased, but he insisted it was something he wanted to try. So, I did. He was perfectly fine with it until my husband and one of his friends came home and saw his toes. "Biscuit" asked Pearce, "Are you sure you're a boy?"
 I told him that any little boy who has a mustache by two and sideburns by five is most definitely a solid little boy. He is 200% boy. He is confident in who he is.
 When I was contemplating his confidence I thought, "For I know whom I have believed in and am persuaded that He is able." Then I thought of the verse in Hebrews 4:16, "Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need." And then Hebrews 11:1, "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see" – sounds like confidence to me. Both verses say we can be confident that even when we don't see Him, we can still approach Him with our needs, and He will give us the grace and mercy we need for the moment, for the day. Have confidence in Him. When all else fails have confidence in your Creator who loves you endlessly and without limit and without strings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comments.