Monday, January 31, 2011

Has Been Hearing Static During the Fast


When I was growing up when it turned midnight several of the TV channels went to "snow" or static. I doubt my kids will even know what the sound of static is by the time they are adults because it doesn't much exist anymore. So, if you're too young to remember "snow" or "static" you may not understand this, but for me during the fast all I got from God was static.
 During the 21 day Daniel Fast at our church, many saw prayers answered and many have come to know Jesus as their Lord and Savior. For me, these 21 days have been spiritual warfare. Satan's attacked my family from every angle possible – Patrick's side of the family, health issues on my side of the family, home repairs causing us to spend several nights at my parents, unknown job factors for me, and financial issues. It didn't seem like there was one area where we weren't being attacked.
If I just went by what my feelings or emotions were, I'd be ready to throw in the towel and give up, but I'm thankful my faith has matured to a point that my faith isn't based on what I feel, what I think, or what I see. I can go back time and time again to the altars in my journals where God has provided, has delivered and has restored, and if He has done it then, He will do it now and in the future because HE IS FAITHFUL! No other power will prevail.
 My lesson this past Sunday was on hope. I cried through most of it because while I knew them in my head, my heart just wasn't in it. To expose myself, my weaknesses to my girlfriends in class was me being totally transparent. Trust me, we have times of tearing up and crying in the class, but it isn't usually me. But I am so thankful for my friends not only in that class but on Facebook who posted Scriptures of encouragement and devotionals to push me forward and to not get stuck by the distraction of the "static." I'm thankful for friends who would text me and pray for me and send me verses on my phone to cling to.

One of the things I learned about hope is that I need to praise God while I wait and hope. To be honest, it just wasn't in me. I was exhausted beyond belief…worn slap thin. I went to church knowing I'd probably be crying through it I sat in the back of the sanctuary. I did begin to praise Him…song after song, tears rolling down my face. Little by little, the weight began to lift. I went Sunday night, and more and more I began to add praise to my belief that God would provide deliverance and restoration.I don't know quite yet why God allowed the "static," but I know it was for my good. If I were to bet, I'd bet He is working on something, and He didn't want me to "help" and screw it all up. Regardless, I trust that it was for my good, and maybe one day, I'll know or understand the reason for this time of trials.

My trials aren't over, but the heaviness is beginning to be lifted, and I can be grateful.
1 Peter 5:6-11 – "So humble yourselves under the mighty power of God, and at the right time He will lift you up in honor." (Yes, Lord!) "Give all your worries and cares to God, for He cares about you." (Thank you!) "Stay alert! Watch out for your great enemy, the devil. He prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour. Stand firm against him, and be strong in your faith. Remember that your Christian brothers and sisters all over the world are going through the same kind of suffering you are."
 So, girlfriends, if you are struggling against principalities like I have been, HANG ON! STAY ALERT! AND BELIEVE even when you don't feel like it.

2 comments:

  1. Keep on hanging on sweet one. You know He is faithful and He will reward your obedience and faith (in ways we can't even imagine). I can't wait to hear what happens when this channel is back on the air. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so proud to call you friend. Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments.