Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Has Notes

My questions started right off the bat. Who starts a story with “six days after?” Six days after what? So, I went back and read the story before. Did you? I wrote down what happened in those paragraphs before not knowing if it would give perspective or not.


WHO – Jesus took Peter, James and John – Why is this significant? They are some of the first disciples He called to follow Him and His inner circle. James and John are brothers and the sons of Zebedee.

WHERE – High on a mountain

WHAT – Jesus is transfigured/transformed.

TERM – Transformed – I’ve seen this word in another verse in my previous studies, so I look it up – Romans 12:2.

While reading on WWW.MyStudyBible.com I see a quote that I really liked, so I wrote it down. “Jesus’ nature was not changed but unveiled.”

Face = Bright as the sun

Clothes = White as light

Verse 3: THEN (after transfigured)

WHO: Moses and Elijah talking to Jesus. I remember the two witnesses talked about in Revelations, so I look that up in Revelations 11 and wonder if these two will be those witnesses.

Verse 4: WHO: Peter starts talking.

TERMS – Rabbi – I look this word up – teach, great one.

Tabernacle – tent, shelter, term used for temporary housing. They used to build booth-like shelters during the Feast of Tabernacles. (Info found at www.mystudybible.com)

Verse 5: Phrase that catches my eye – “While Peter was speaking” – W

Question: What was it like to be interrupted by God?

TERMS: Cloud – I remember other times in the Bible where a cloud is used, so I look them up in the concordance and then I type the word “cloud” in the blank on www.biblegateway.com.

Voice – There is another time in the New Testament a voice is heard, and it says something very similar. I search for that to see if my memory is correct. I make a note that the heavenly Father praised His Son in public.

Verse 6: WHO: Jesus, Peter, James and John fell face down and were terrified (As if they could be anything else but terrified!)

Verse 7: WHAT: Jesus “touched” them (Did they jump out of their skins?) and then He spoke to them.

Verse 8: WHO: Jesus, Peter, James and John

Verse 9: WHERE/WHEN: Coming down from mountain top experience

WHAT: Jesus tells disciples to not tell anyone what happened until AFTER Son of Man has risen from the grave

Verse 10: Disciples bring up the teaching about Elijah

Verse 11: Jesus explains who Elijah is – John the Baptist (I checked out the Malachi prophecy)

Questions – I have a question about a couple of things. How did Peter know the two figures, the two men were Elijah and Moses? And why did Jesus put a time limit on His instruction? I don’t ever remember any other time when Jesus put a time restraint on any of His instructions.

FAITH-WORK:

This week read Matthew 17:1-8 and Luke 9:28-36. Do exactly the same thing you did with this Mark scripture. Write down everything you observe including who, what, when, where and any questions or terms you need defining.

At the end of the week, I want you to compare and contrast the three. I will post my observations on Saturday (or at least that’s the plan).

Do you have questions for which you cannot find the answers? GREAT! Ask someone. Shoot them to me, and I’ll post them and let’s start a conversation.

Don’t worry if you don’t get everything I find. You may find things I miss. The Word of the Lord is living and active which means that God uses it to reveal to each what he or she needs to understand at that time.

Check out Living by the Book by Howard G and William D Hendricks. This is where I learned how to study the Word of God, the technique, and where the concept of reading and observing can be found in greater detail.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comments.