Sunday, April 8, 2012

Extravagant. Intimate. Personal. It's that kind of love.

Have you ever just wanted to be loved? Have you ever just wanted a kind word or affection from a certain someone? Has your heart ever ached because you just want to feel someone’s arms around you or to feel there is someone there on whom you can rely? Have you ever cried because the person you most dearly love doesn’t love you back…or at least the way you love them? Have you ever just wanted someone to hold you? Have you ever looked to someone for a sign that they appreciate you, appreciate what you’ve done or what you’ve contributed only to not be seen at all? Me too. You are not alone.


But I have good news.

There is a love that has been described as extravagant, generous, enough, undying, accepting, tender, steadfast – the list goes on and on. It is a perfect love because the One who gives it is perfect. He is my Lord and Savior.

I remember a time when the person I wanted to be my supporter and the one to hold me couldn’t. I was hurt and angry. It’s amazing how God can work even when our emotions run amuck or when our focus is not focused on Him. That still, quiet voice spoke to my spirit. “Men will fail you, but I never will.” “Men are human and fallible: I am not.” “Men are selfish and self-seeking while I want to be the only One to whom you turn when you need comfort.” So I started laying out everything that was going on in my life. I was bawling. I had snot running down my nose. My eyes were red and puffy, and I was doing the ugly cry – you know the kind where you wretch. It’s not a pretty picture, but sometimes we have to get to the ugly cry before we look up. And when I had poured everything out of me till there was nothing left, in His generosity, He began to fill me back up…restore me.

There’s a song, “He is jealous for me. Loves like a hurricane. I am a tree bending beneath the weight of His wind and mercy when all of the sudden I am unaware of these afflictions eclipsed by glory and I realize just how beautiful you are and how great your affections are for me.” Love that song.

Zephaniah 3:17 puts it like this, “Yahweh your God is among you, a warrior who saves. He will rejoice over you with gladness. He will bring you quietness with His love. He will delight in you with shouts of joy.”

“Love so amazing, so divine demands my soul, my life, my all,” comes from the song written by Isaac Watts called When I Survey the Wondrous Cross.

Yep, this love comes with a price. A price I could never possibly pay, but He could and He did. He paid my debt just as He has paid your debt. He paid for your sins by dying on the cross and overcoming death by rising from the dead in 3 days. That is an extravagant kind of love. It’s intimate. It’s personal. What are you waiting for? Embrace it. He’s waiting with arms wide open. How long will you make Him wait? Run to Him before it is too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comments.