Saturday, May 14, 2011

Calgon and the Good Shepherd

"Parenting isn't for sissies," Dr. Dobson has said, and if you've ever had to single-parent for any amount of time, you'd also add that it's not for the "low in energy." This is the second time since becoming a parent of two children that I have had to single-parent. Patrick left in September of 2005 after Katrina and worked storm for about six month. We got to see him off and on throughout that time period. This time he is much closer, and the kids are older and into more things. The end of school year can be a brutal time being pulled to recitals, concerts, end of school year parties, field days, and field trips. Plus, we still have homework to contend with along with baseball and other duties. It is so easy to get overwhelmed. Shoot! It's easy to get overwhelmed when Patrick is home to share the load! I can't imagine being outnumbered (more kids than parents).

Isaiah 43:2, "I will be with you when you pass through the waters, and when you pass through the rivers, they will not overwhelm you. You will not be scorched when you walk through the fire, and the flame will not burn you." I have a fear of drowning, and when I feel overwhelmed, it can be so suffocating. But we have a promise here that He does not leave us, and life will not overcome us. Do you know why? Because we are PRECIOUS! I tell my husband all the time that I'm too precious to sweat, and now I have biblical basis for my preciousness – check out Isaiah 43:4!

I don't know about you, but there are just times when I don't feel like I can handle one more thing. You know the saying, "The straw that broke the camel's back." I seek God for wisdom and guidance to know what to say "no" to and what to accept, and because He is my Shepherd, Yahweh Roi, He leads me. He is also the Good Shepherd, Poimen Kalos. Ann Spangler writes when you are praying to Yahweh Roi, "You are praying to the One who watches over you day and night, feeding you and leading you safely on the path of righteousness" (73). "When you pray to the Good Shepherd, you are admitting your need for his care and your confidence in his ability to watch over you and protect you" (235).

Have you ever just wanted a quiet, padded cell somewhere? Psalms 23, the Shepherd leads his sheep beside the still waters and makes them to lie down in green pastures. Sounds peaceful, doesn't? He gives us respite when we need it if we will accept it.

If you are feeling the pressures that come at the end of the school year, I encourage you to read and meditate on Psalm 23.

I apologize if this entry is a little disjointed, but it's hard to meditate in a travel trailer with two kids who would much rather be outside, but it's too cold. I'm looking for the green pastures! Calgon take me away!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comments.