Sunday, May 29, 2011

Shophet, Melek and Ish – Not Just Any Old Names


I just finished my previous blog and confessing the sin of which the Holy Spirit was convicting me and disciplining me when I turned my attentions to study for Sunday's lesson. Apparently, I'm spiritually challenged because there He was again confronting me – Don't you just love it when He does that?!
We are studying the different names of God. (After this week, we'll be taking a short hiatus because the pastor has asked that we study an awesome book that the women's ministry team reviewed a few months ago. It is going to be phenomenal and challenging. I can't wait!)
 There was a name that drew my attention Shophet – Judge. Ann Spangler said when we pray to Shophet, we acknowledge "he is the only one competent to measure the motivations of our heart." "When we pray to God our Shophet (sho-PHAIT), we are praying to the one whose righteousness demands perfect justice but who has also provided a way for us to be acquitted of our guilt" (101).

"As all knowledge is from God, no doubt he knows all the thoughts of the children of men, and knows that the imaginations of the thoughts of men's hearts are only evil, and that continually. Even in good thoughts there is a want of being fixed, which may be called vanity. It concerns us to keep a strict watch over our thoughts, because God takes particular notice of them. Thoughts are words to God." Matthew Henry Concise Bible Commentary on www.mystudybible.com
Yes, that walked all over my toes and then kicked me in the shin! My mind is a battlefield.

If you think you don't have an issue with vanity, just ask God, if you dare.
Psalm 94…"The Lord knows the thoughts of man; he knows that they are futile." Our thoughts of self-importance, our thought-life in general are futile. Why? Because He is God, and he is in control. "Blessed is the man you discipline, O Lord, the man you teach from your law; you grant him relief from days of trouble, till a pit is dug for the wicked." It may not feel like a blessing when He disciplines you, but it's better than Him allowing us to go astray and fall into the pit dug for the wicket. Wouldn't you agree?
Then I went to the name Melek – King. We are promised that one day He will come again in all His majesty and glory, and He will rule. As a daughter of the King of Kings, even though I am flawed, I can boldly go before my Father's throne (Hebrews :16) knowing my sin, my past is covered by a trail of blood. I can stand forgiven.
 To stand in front of God as being forgiven is HUGE! Another name for God is Ish – husband. Ann Spangler said when we pray calling on the name of Ish, we are praying to "the one who provides and protects his people and who refuses to divorce us no matter how unfaithful we may be"(87). I don't know of any Christian who hasn't been unfaithful to God at some point in time in their lives. God saw the children of Israel in Hosea as being adulterous. I have been adulterous to God in my faith. We, as the church, are His bride, and ladies, we have soiled our wedding dress.

We should be ashamed at the condition the body of Christ is in. We should be embarrassed by the behavior of God's bride. Whether it is our thoughts, our words or our actions that take us away from God, it is still separation. It is time that the body of Christ acts like Christ, get off of our behinds, and be the hands and feet He designed us to be serving Him, serving others.
I encourage you to repent. There's another Great Awakening coming to the body of Christ. It's coming. The bride is going to get ready to meet her groom. The body of Christ is going to behave and do the things we should – feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, serving the homeless. Don't miss it because it's going to be quite a ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comments.