Monday, November 28, 2011

Pearce said, "I regret bringing you here."

Pearce and I reached the peak of a 1.5 mile hike up a mountain. I had begged him half way for us to turn around. “Pearce, would it hurt your feelings too badly if we turned around and headed back?” “Come on, mom. Put your faith into it. You can do it.” Great! He’s questioning my faith. We finally made it to the top which was a bit lack-luster or anti-climatic. Pearce was bent over and breathing heavy and said, “Mom, I regret bringing you up here. Shoot! I regret making myself come up here.” That kid cracks me up. But once again, it wasn't about reaching the mountaintop. It was about the journey.


This hike was in Bandelier National Monument, and Pops (Patrick’s dad) had graciously agreed to take Pearce and myself to see where the cliff dwellers once lived. Part of the Bandelier Park is a 1.5 mile hike. It wasn’t nearly as treacherous as the hike we completed the day before, and while I wasn’t sore from yesterday’s adventure (miracle beyond miracles), it was still rather steep in places. I treasure having one-on-one time with my kids. Out of Erin and Pearce, Pearce is probably the most like myself, while Erin and Patrick are two peas in a pod. This second hike had amazing views, and the conversations were wonderful.

On the 1.5 mile hike down the mountain, Pearce said, “You know, I think we need to pray on the way down.” Wanting to encourage his leadership in this area, I agreed and encouraged him to begin. I wasn’t sure if he was praying that we would make it down safely or what, so listening to his prayer peaked my interest. Pearce prayed for his daddy who had altitude sickness and for his sister who had chosen to stay back with Patrick and Dodie. Afterward he said, “Isn’t it amazing how creative and crafty God is?” He had stopped and was taking in the view while drinking some water. I just love times like these. Pearce challenges me physically to do more than anyone else.

Part of Bandelier allows people to climb up ladders into little cave in the side of the mountain where Native American’s called “Cliff Dwellers” used to live. He climbed every ladder, and I climbed a few. We saw paintings on the side of the mountain that had faded over the years of sunlight burning into the surface of the mountain. We heard the stream down below, and we wondered how these people lived so minimally.


I am so thankful to have had time away with my family. I am so blessed.

1 comment:

  1. Those memories will last because they have special meaning. Not just for you, but for Erin and Pearce too. I can just imagine all of you talking about this vacation with the grandkids one day...have a great week!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments.