Monday, March 12, 2012

Some People Have Paid to Have Their Tongues Pierced... Gorilla Glue Anyeone?

“Because you listened to your wife’s voice…”


This is how God started off disciplining Adam.

OUCH!
That’s tough on both ends!

My spiritual gifts are prophecy and discernment. They are strong spiritual gifts…and those who possess these gifts can often be over-bearing, loud-mouthed, know-it-alls with sharp edges only seeing black and white. Now, put those spiritual gifts in a woman who is supposed to follow the leadership of her husband…let’s just say, I’ve had to learn a lot, and I continue to learn on how to keep my mouth shut. I have a LONG WAY to go.

It doesn’t matter if I know in my Spirit, my heart of hearts that a certain way is right or a certain decision is a good one, I have to watch my mouth. Not only do I have to watch my mouth, but then I gotta shut my trap. In other words, I give my opinion in carefully chosen words, and if he doesn’t take it, I keep my mouth shut. I may tell him what is on my heart about another issue, but if he chooses to go in the other direction, then I DON’T SAY ANOTHER WORD. Some people pay to have their tongues pierced. I’ve just bitten the hole in my tongue over the years. And these words, “I told you so” should never, ever come out of my mouth.

The words that we speak show what we are focusing and dwelling on, and the Scripture tells us in Philippians 4:8 to think on things that are true, noble, just, pure, lovely and are of good report, and if anything is praiseworthy, we should meditate on these things. Does my husband hear these kind of things coming out of my mouth?

• Is the advice I give my husband something that God will punish him for later, or is it sound advice coming from spending time with God Himself?

• If my husband acts on my advice, will he be blessed from it?

• Will my advice cause him extra work and hardship? Eve’s advice added hard labor to the life of Adam. I don’t want that for my husband, do you?

And even after receiving his punishment, Adam still loved Eve. She knew she had screwed up royally. She knew that she had made the mother of all blunders, and instead of cursing her, beating her down, reminding her of her failures over and over again, Adam showed his love for her by naming her Eve, “because she would become the mother of all living” (Genesis 3:20).


I find it odd that it is just now in the story that Adam gave Eve her personal name. To me, it shows that Adam took it to heart that God had given her to him as his wife. He took it personally that he was to love her, protect her, and provide for her. He was able to forgive and move on. For having not lived very long that shows great maturity, don’t ya think?

When times get stressful in your marriage, how you behave tells a lot about your relationship with God. Eve and Adam had personal relationships with God. They walked with Him and talked with Him, and they felt His love on an intimate level. If we have that intimate knowledge of God’s love in us, then our behavior should reveal as much. And as often is the case, there will be one spouse who just isn’t there yet. This does not release the other from acting out of God’s love…they should probably act more out of God’s love than anyone (1 Cor 5). Is it easy? NOPE. Is it fun? NOPE.

But when we stand before God and are judged, I don’t want to hear God tell my husband, “Because you listened to your wife…” and then hear something to Patrick’s detriment. I want to hear God bless my husband because of what I said or did was an asset to him. So, where do you stand? Do you need to buy some Gorilla Glue?

1 comment:

  1. Wow! You blessed me greatly when I read this article. It sounded sooooo much like grandmother. Keep writing. God has given you the gift to share through your articles..

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments.