Friday, March 2, 2012

Where Do 2 Redneck Girls Hide a Frog? You might be surprised.

Today is my husband’s birthday. He is the reason I’ve been on this journey since the beginning of the year. Without him, I would not be a wife or a mother, and I am grateful for the opportunity to be both.


I want to be like the Proverbs 31 woman. I want to follow God’s design for being a godly wife, but like Eve, I fall miserably short sometimes. Sometimes not only do I fall short, but I bring my husband down in the process.

I don’t know about you, but I want to have a happy, peaceful, loving family, and sometimes what I do tears down the things that build up my family. Isn’t that just stupid on my part? I want so desperately for my husband to love me, respect me, honor me, etc., and yet there are times when my behavior and attitude and choices wear away at the fabric of my relationship.

In Genesis 3, Eve did the exact same thing. She fed Adam the fruit from the tree of knowledge of good and evil. Adam willingly took and ate. He is the one who received “THE RULE” from God, but his wife encouraged him to go against “THE RULE,” against God. Things started falling apart immediately. They immediately realized they were naked and started looking for covering. I wonder what they used to sew those fig leaves together. It’s not like they could have gone to a fabric store for a needle and thread. I wonder if they tried any other coverings before going to the fig leaf…hopefully they didn’t try poison ivy (just sayin’).

In verse 8 it says, “Then the man and his wife heard the sound of the Lord God as he was walking.” When my sister and I were young, we sneaked a tree frog into the house. We ran to my room, shut the door and started giggling. Then we realized we had this frog and no place to put it. We looked around to see where we could keep him…a 6 string guitar. We put the little frog in the guitar just as we heard mom walking toward my room. We quickly slid the guitar under my bed as mom opened the door. Talk about heart-pounding. We were called to supper, and when we came back, we couldn’t get the little frog to come out. We also didn’t know what to feed it, so we think it died in there. We donated it to Good Will…we were charitable that way (a guitar, a frog – all in one). Getting caught or almost getting caught can make your heart race. Ever hear your heart pounding in your ears due to fright?

I wonder what God sounded like. I have a heavy footstep, and when I’m wearing my boots, I walk with purpose.

So Adam and Eve hear God, and what do they do? Like my kids, they hide the incriminating evidence. Yes, Pearce, go ahead and shove those last 3 big marshmallows in your mouth. Instead of food, they hide themselves.

Then God calls out to the man. You know why? Because God told the man the rule, and the man was responsible for following the rules and making sure his wife did as well.

Then God audibly speaks to Adam and Eve. Have you ever wished God would just say something audible to a pray you have poured out? I have. I wonder if He has a low, raspy voice, or does He sound like James Earl Jones. In verse 9, God says, “Where are you?” You and I both know that God knew full good and well where Adam and Eve were and what they had done.

Why do you think God asked a rhetorical question? He was giving them an opportunity to come clean, to confess.

Adam comes clean, and we’ll go over his conversation in the next blog, but what I want to make sure you get here is that Eve had an opportunity to make a good decision. She could have chosen to save her relationship with God. She could have chosen to honor her husband’s authority. But instead, Eve chose to undermine the authority of her husband. She chose to not to submit to God’s protection, and life as she knows it falls apart.

If you’re world feels like it’s falling apart, don’t blame someone else. Psalm 139:23 – 24, “Search me, O God, and know my heart: Try me, and know my thoughts; and see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.” Let me tell you, it isn’t pleasant as one who has been there and done that. Are you brave enough to pray that? Are you brave enough to tell God to search you and to try you, to clean your heart? What if it means it would save your marriage, a relationship, would you then? God is in the restoration business, but you have to do your part. You gotta come clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comments.