Wednesday, February 29, 2012

You May Be an Adult, But You Are Still Acting Like a Spoiled Teenager

Since I haven’t been teaching, this is my only venue to share what I’m learning. Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE TO TEACH THE WORD OF GOD, but I’m thankful for this avenue to share until God leads me to teach again.

So, I’ve been reading and studying about Eve, and we’ve talked about “THE” rule, but today I want us to see how her choice came to be.

Have you ever seen a woman out in public and wonder, “What in the world was she thinking when she put that thing on and went outside?” Sometimes I think that about my own kids…hahaha.

The phrase “primrose path” kept coming to my mind because sin is a slippery slope and often starts with a thought or something seen. The American Heritage Dictionary, the “primrose path” is “a course of action that seems easy and appropriate but can actually end in calamity.” YA THINK?

A person doesn’t become obese just thinking about food. A person isn’t known for being a gossip just by listening. A person doesn’t become a felon just because she thinks about killing someone. An embezzler doesn’t become one just by looking at money. An affair doesn’t just happen…there is a look, a thought, a desire, and action. Just one look. That’s all it took. Yeah. Just one look. That’s all it took.

Genesis 3:6 “the woman saw” – She looked with her eyes. My children can look with their hands, so that’s why I clarified. Oh be careful little eyes what you see. Oh be careful little eyes what you see for the Father up above is looking down with love. Oh be careful little eyes what you see. Remember this childhood song? There’s truth in it.

The thing about seeing something and focusing on something is different. The Bible says, “delightful to look at” – This was no passing glance. She looked at it and registered a thought – “delightful.”

This seeing-to-focus-thought -- “desirable” – Her focus was on the fruit and what she would gain from eating it. She desired/wanted what only this fruit could do for her.

“So she took some of its fruit” – Her glance turned into eyeing and her eyeing it turned into a thought and her thought turned into desire and her desire turned into action. Not only did she take action but the Bible says,“and ate it” – She deliberately did what she was told not to do. She made a deliberate choice to act in direct disobedience to God’s will in her life.

Then Eve directed -- “she also gave some to her husband” – she spread her sin around. Her sin affected not just herself but her husband and the rest of mankind. Your sin doesn’t just affect you…It affects your family, your friends, your coworkers, and possibly generations to come. You may not see how, but it’s not really for you to see. You just need to know and believe that God sees, and when He says don’t do it, THEN DON’T DO IT! Duh! This is how we as grown adults act like spoiled teenagers…thinking we know it all. My daughter who is a pre-teen told me I act like a know-it-all, and I told her that it wasn’t that but rather, I know-more-than-she-does and that is why I am called the parent. God is our heavenly Father and He is by far more intelligent and most wise. He knows what tomorrow holds. The question is…do you trust Him? OR are you too involved in selfish pleasures to hear His voice?

All it takes is one look, one thought that leads to sin that will separate you. It isn’t God who moves…It’s us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comments.