Thursday, February 23, 2012

P31 -- Seriously, Don't Read This One...You've Been Warned

Apparently, God isn’t through chiseling away dross. Thankfully, He loves me too much to leave me where I sit…struggling.


Have you ever read Stormie OMartian’s book The Power of a Praying Wife? If you haven’t, I highly suggest it…especially if you have ever struggled in your marriage, struggled with loving your man, struggled with being a godly wife. She doesn’t mince words. I like that in a friend, an author, or anyone God has put in my life.

At this time God has me focusing on my relationship with my husband. Sometimes I really stink at it. Sometimes I don’t like to do it. And don’t even get me started about my feelings when the hormones kicks in…I think I may be pre-menopause. (Bless his heart!) It’s one of the reasons I’m thinking about investing in Gorilla Glue (see a prior blog).

At any rate, when you think of godly woman, what verses come to your mind? Yup, Proverbs 31. Talk about filling some big shoes and setting me up for failure! At any rate, that is where we are going. So stop reading now if you aren’t interested in knowing more about a godly wife or if you think you are too far gone to care. Seriously. Stop now before there’s no turning back. Seriously.

Let’s break it down…shall we? Verse 10 says, “A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies.” I know a little about diamonds because my husband dabbles in diamond sales, but I was not familiar with rubies. I knew they were expensive, but I wanted to know more. Wikipedia says, “All natural rubies have imperfections in them, including color impurities and inclusions of rutile needles known as ‘silk.’ Gemologists use these needle inclusions found in natural rubies to distinguish them from synthetics, stimulants, or substitutes.” Rubies are ranked up there with diamonds, sapphires, and emeralds in value. Here’s another point, the value of the ruby isn’t determined by the one who owns or possesses it. Many see the value of a beautiful ruby. I love the fact that Wikipedia says natural rubies have flaws, and the Bible says rubies are valuable with their flaws (because you know they weren’t making synthetic rubies back then). A woman of noble character will be beautiful and valuable despite her flaws because people can see the overall picture of who she is…her color (is she transparent?), her clarity, her cut (what has shaped her), the carat (the weight of her character), and because she fears the Lord...but I'm getting ahead of myself.

Verse 11 says, “Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value. Verse 12, “She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life.” Confidence is based on trust. She is a good steward and is able to make ends meet providing what her husband needs. He doesn’t lack anything of value…Which leads me to ask, what does a husband value? Appreciation (like us). Encouragement. This godly wife has his back all the days of her life whether she feels like it or not, whether he leaves his underwear on the floor, whether or not he leaves the seat up. Sometimes it is a listening ear without advice or being condescending that this husband is looking for. Sometimes he needs a soft place to land at night. She does him good.

In verses 13 – 19, we see the godly woman is diligent. She is a worker. She isn’t lazy. She is wise and intertwines the wisdom with business to make a profit. She is shrewd, thrifty, and a negotiator. She doesn’t play that helpless female bit. I used to negotiate a lot when I would settle bodily injury claims for my employer, and in Texas, I had a blast because I could be a real hard nose. I was good at my job, but sometimes I took my work home with me. Negotiating and working out deals is something done in a business arena. When I would tear apart my husband’s defense like I would any attorney, I was tearing down the man I married, the one I loved. There is no room for that in marriage.

In verse 20 – 22, this woman is generous to the poor. She doesn’t turn a blind eye to the panhandler, to the homeless, to the ill. She is generous to her family making sure they are dressed well and cared for.

My favorite verses are verses 25 - 27, “She is clothes with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come. She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue. She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness.” This woman is a powerhouse. She’s got class, and she knows that by taking care of her family now, by being a good steward and hard worker, that her future is secure. She knows who holds her future. She minds her own business and doesn’t get involved in wagging her tongue (invest in Gorilla Glue).

It is my sincere prayer that one day my husband and children will rise and bless me with the gratitude of their hearts and words of their lips.

The bottom line here is found in verse 30, “but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.” Regardless of what is going on around her, regardless of how her marriage is going at the moment, regardless of how her children are behaving – she – fears – the – Lord. No matter what is going on around her, this woman’s focus is on her Savior, and that’s what makes her beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comments.