Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Believes Every Wife Should Own a Bottle of Gorilla Glue...maybe even own stock

I can’t seem to help myself. Have you ever seen one of those toys that starts moving when it hears music? Yeah, I’m a lot like that. The better the beat, the more I get after it. I’ve been known to bust a move in a store from time-to-time, so it should not be any great surprise that on more than one occasion I’ve caught Erin dancing down one of the aisles at the store. There are some debates regarding “nature versus nurture” in regarding adoption and the child’s behavior. I happen to believe it’s both. As Christians our Heavenly Father adopts us into His family, and we are to emulate Him.

During my quiet times with God, He’s been leading me through the role of wife and how it parallels that of the Holy Spirit’s. I wanted to know more about the Holy Spirit, and this is what I found. “NASB translation of parakletos, a distinctive title for the Holy Spirit.” Other versions have used “Comforter” (KJV), “Advocate” (NEB), or “Counselor (HCSB).”(1)

The Holy Spirit is called Counselor (John 16:7,8). Do I give good counsel to my husband? Do I give wisdom and truth to my husband? In verse 13 it says, “…He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come.” Just because a thought comes to my mind does not give mean I have permission to speak it. I need to speak what is true, honest, pure, and holy. I don’t need to speak when my hormones are running on high. I don’t need to speak when I’ve been hurt unless I know it is what God would have me speak. I need to keep a bottle of Gorilla Glue on hand for my lips! (It's sad to have to write this, but do not go out and put Gorilla Glue on your lips...it's just downright stupid. I'm writing it to make a point.)

The Holy Spirit was given, so believers wouldn’t feel as if they had been orphaned (John 14:16-18). Isn’t that just like God? He’s wanting to make sure we feel secure and are protected. Do make my spouse feel secure and protected? The Holy Spirit is there also to remind the believer of everything Jesus said. Do I encourage my husband as God leads me? Once again, do I give my husband wise counsel?


What if I give my husband good and wise counsel, but he chooses to do something else? Ladies, this is where submission comes into play. Once we speak what God has spoken to us then we need to shut our mouths tighter than the lions in the den with Daniel. Gorrilla Glue anyone?

You know what else I discovered, the Holy Spirit talks to God about us. He interprets the moaning and groaning that cannot be put into words. Am I praying for my husband? Am I going to my Heavenly Father with the concerns and burdens of my husband?

There are days though that I get tired of doing and being, and sometimes I just want a helper. Is that wrong? Is that too much to ask? That’s when I have to look to God for help. He knows my limitations. He created me after all. He knows that when I get to the end of myself then I am more likely to rely on Him solely. He, Jesus Christ, is from whom I get my strength.

I don’t see anywhere that what I am and what I do as a wife is determined what he (my husband) may or may not do OR how I’m feeling about my husband at any given point in time. At work, my job descriptions don’t change based on what I feel. My boss would get a real kick out of that! My job description, my role as a godly wife does not change based on how he is behaving or in some cases misbehaving. My role as a godly wife is clearly defined regardless of the belief or lack of belief of my husband, the attitude of my husband or his behavior. I cannot change the way he feels, thinks, or behaves – that’s God’s business. What I can control, what I do correlates to my attitude – I’m turning over my heart, mind, and my attitude to God. Laying down my pride. Confessing my sin.

2 Corinthians 12:9-10 New International Version (NIV)
9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.


(1) R. Robert Creech www.mystudyBible.com

2 comments:

  1. In addition to the Gorilla Glue, I'm going to need a wheelchair because not only did this step all over my toes...it stepped so hard my toes are broken. This is def going to be a blog that I will need to read over & over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay--and you put all this in writing with many witnesses!! Great points--great, great!! Easy to say, not always easy to do! It takes superhuman power to live as you described. You (we) are NOT superhuman; God IS! Excellent article!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments.