Saturday, February 18, 2012

Pride...It's a Trip...downward

I tell people on a regular basis that my name is not “Grace” for two reasons – my left foot and my right foot.

I can trip on air. When I was a cheerleader, they used to throw me on top of the mound, so I couldn’t trip and fall into the mound. At least up top, someone was holding onto my feet. In addition to tripping on air, there’s another thing I trip on regularly.

                                                      Pride.

It gets in my way all the time. I’m constantly tripping over it. As women we’ve bought into a lie of the world and our pride is getting in the way of what we are supposed to be and who we are supposed to be. And by “we” I really mean “me.” If you think you shouldn’t have to submit or you shouldn’t have to serve your family, then you have an issue with pride as well. I’d like to help you with your perspective because sometimes I struggle with acts of service.

                Jesus Christ – perfect, holy, knowing no sin – chose to lower Himself to the status of human, thereby forgoing the beauty of heaven and His seat on a heavenly throne, just to save my sorry self. He chose to clothe Himself in flesh to minister to the needs of a dying world that had no hope. He chose to become flesh, so He could heal the sick, teach the listener and the follower, and redeem the sinner (PTL!). He humbled Himself to serve His disciples when He got down on His knees to wash their feet one by one…even the one who would betray him and the one who would deny knowing Him. (Got a rebellious child or wayward family member – yep, serve ‘em.) If Jesus Christ thought it was important enough to humble Himself for us, then what is your problem? What is my problem? Sin. Flat out sin and pride. Confess it. Get rid of it. Open yourself to the way God wants us as godly women to live.


Genesis 2:20 says that woman was made to be a helper. Helper – “(Hb. ‘ezer kenegdo, lit. ‘helper corresponding to what is in front of him’) conveys the sense of a helper ‘suitable’ or ‘comparable’ to man. This word ‘ezer is never used to describe the man in his relationship to the woman. However, the same word is used to describe God’s relationship to mankind. The word implies neither superiority nor inferiority; it is not about worth. Rather, it is descriptive of function. You do not lose worth in becoming a helper to someone. In fact, the function by definition suggests more the development of an endearing and productive partnership.” “The woman is formed from the man, indicating clearly that she is like him – the same flesh and blood (v. 23), with equal worth, and also ‘in the image of God’ (1:27). The man (Hb. ‘ish) named the woman, thus establishing his unique relationship to her (2:23). The ‘woman’ was given a name similar to his own. The name is an act cementing a close relationship as well as revealing the man’s status as being authority over her. While she is subject to him, she is also his close companion. Here at last is on who, as his helper, would stand on a par with the man (v. 18). (1)

1 Corinthians 11:3, 9 “Now I want you to realize that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is man, and the head of Christ is God. 9…neither was man created for woman, but woman for man.”

1 Peter 3:7 “Husbands, in the same way be considerate as you live with your wives, and treat them with respect as the weaker partner and as heirs with you of the gracious gift of life so that nothing will hinder your prayers.”

Psalms 33:20, “We wait in hope for the Lord; he is our help and our shield.” On the days I want a wife, I will choose to wait on the Lord knowing that He is my help, and I can’t get any better help than that for He knows my yesterdays and today and still loves me. He knows my tomorrows and hasn’t given up on me.

It hurts being taken to God’s woodshed to deal with the sin in my life. I don’t like it. It’s uncomfortable, unpleasant, and it’s just stupidity on my party. Please God forgive me of my unrepentant heart. Please forgive me of my pride. Help me to love my family the way You love them. Help me to be the godly wife you want my husband to have.



(1) Pg 12 Women’s Evangelical Commentary Old Testament.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comments.