Friday, October 5, 2012

Even Pearce Knows You Don't Go into a Gun Battle with a Water Pistol

My daughter loves going to chapel. I’m so thankful that she is growing deeper in her faith. She wants to hear more than the same stories in the Bible. She wants to learn life application. I LOVE IT! SO THANKFUL! So when she asked if we could put on the armor of God this year, I readily agreed.


Much to my family’s chagrin, I am a morning person. I will sing. I will sing off key; I will sing in the shower; I will sing loudly; and I will sing out of rhythm if it will get them up and moving. My personal preferences for songs in the morning are When Cows Wake Up in the Morning and Get Up, Get Up, Get Up in Jesus Name by the Bennett sisters. You know, now that I think about it Erin may have asked me to do the armor in the morning so I wouldn’t sing. Erin is SOOOOOOOO not a morning person --- EVER.

So every morning when I wake them for school, I’ve been dressing my kids in their spiritual armor, and the next few blogs are going to be about the armor that my kids are learning to wear, what it looks like, how it feels, and what it means.

In Ephesians 6, the Word of God tells us that we are to stand firm against the devil’s schemes, and we are to put on the full armor of God. We can’t hand select what we will or won’t wear for the day. It’s like a uniform. Can you imagine if a police officer decided not to wear his uniform shirt for the day and instead chose an undershirt? Ridiculous, right? And the thing is, we have to put the armor on every day. I mean unless you are a practicing nudist you put on clothes every day don’t you? If you don’t put on your armor you’re leaving yourself exposed, and at this point in time in my life, I don’t want that much to be exposed…know what I mean? Not putting on the full armor of God is like going into a gun battle with a water pistol…it’s just ridiculous. We gotta be prepared. We need to teach our children to be prepared as well.

My prayer is that as a result of this school year, my kids and I will remember to put on the armor of God before our feet hit the floor every day. If you can use this, great. If you want to share, please feel free. As parents, I think we have to help each other out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comments.