Thursday, August 25, 2011

GOOD GRIEF – A Daughter-In-Law Remembers


I realize that not everyone who reads my blog will know my G, so earlier in the week I wrote this about her, so you could understand a little of whom she is and who we will be missing. It's a good thing I wrote it earlier in the week because I think I'm hitting another stage of grief – depression. It's not bad. I don't need pep talks. I'm just in a funk, and it's totally okay to be in a funk. I think too often we try to make someone else feel better or rush to fix their pain or problem when the best healing comes from their working it out with their Savior. Don't get me wrong, there are times when people need encouragement and need medication and need counseling. I'm just not there. SOOOOO, please enjoy what I wrote earlier in the week, as I allow God to work on my FUNK.

 
Proverbs 31:13 "She selects wool and flax and works with eager hands."
If you ever stepped foot into Gynelle's home, you would know she was not an idle woman. She designed her home by measuring the furniture and building the room around the furniture.
Proverbs 31:22 "She makes coverings for her bed; she is clothed in fine linen and purple."

She sewed the drapes, comforters, pillows and bed skirts to compliment the wall color. Her grandchildren had handmade clothes by Gynelle, and when they were babies, she smocked their baby clothes.
Proverbs 31:17 "She sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks,"Her flowers bloomed year around because she planned it that way. She would study the different kinds of blooming flowers and would map out her flowerbeds according to the heights of the flowers. Her back deck had potted plants that would attract butterflies and hummingbirds because that's what brought her joy and peace.

Proverbs 31:15 "She gets up while it is still dark; she provides food for her family and portions for her servant girls."Gynelle would fix Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners to feed a group of family. She would decorate the dining room so it was a feast for the eyes. The food she prepared was just as pleasing making sure she had something special in mind for each guest. She knew what her guests' favorite foods were. And while this was delectable, it never failed, Gynelle would burn the bread. We would laugh at this every time. We called it "blackened bread."

This reminds me of the first Thanksgiving meal that I experienced in the Mullins' household. Patrick and I had started dating seriously in September, and Gynelle had invited me for Thanksgiving dinner. That day, Patrick called saying he was running late and asked if I would just meet him at the house. I agreed. When I arrived, I asked to help, but I was sent into the den and was told to not go into the dining room until dinner was served. (I think she wanted to see everyone's expression at the same time.) So, I was sitting in the den watching television when Patrick arrived from deer hunting. He had killed 2 that day. He stuck his head in the back door and asked me to come outside and help him. (Mind you, I am dressed nicely for a dinner with his parents!) I explained that under no circumstances would I help clean the deer. I told him he could kill them, clean them and cook them. I may or may not eat them. Gynelle had finished the preparations and went outside and began gutting that deer. (My thought – she's more of a woman than I am!) Afterwards she took a shower, and it was time to eat. We entered the dining room. The candlelight played off the crystal, and the tablescape she created was amazing. I have never been a part of anything quite like that.Proverbs 31:30-31 "Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised. Give her the reward she has earned, and let her works bring praise at the city gate."
Gynelle was not perfect. She was a flawed human being just like the rest of us, but I know without a doubt that she loved. She loved her kids and her grandkids. I will be posting the memories that my kids have of their G. (Maybe Erin will be a guest writer on my blog again.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comments.