Friday, August 28, 2009

...Learns a Lesson on Mercy on Pearce's 2nd Day of Pre-K 4.

"Mrs. Mullins, I have Pearce in my office. He didn't want to clean up when Mrs. Linda told him too, and then he began kicking her desk and taking things off of it." This was the call I received on the second day of Pre-K 4 at 8:45 AM in the morning. School had only started at 8 AM.


I got in my car and headed to the school to deal with the boy. As I walked with a purpose through the foyer shaking my head the receptionist for the church and the principal for the school saw me. They knew who I was there to see. This was not my first rodeo with the boy.



I entered the office of the daycare director, extended my hand, and Pearce clasped it, and we walked to the restroom in the foyer because it was the least used, and it had a chair. I didn't say a word until we were there, and I was seated looking him straight in the face.


"Pearce, what in the world were you thinking?"


"I didn't kick her." He thought this was a step up, and for him it was. Last year, he kicked a teacher in his temper tantrum while wearing his favorite, John Deere cowboy boots. As a result of that one, I made him take off his boots, leave them in the director's office and walk barefooted the rest of the day. In addition, he was not allowed to wear ANY boots to school the rest of the year.


"Pearce, that isn't the point." Normally, I keep a wooden spoon in my car, but it was in the shop for warranty work, so I was in a rental. I decided instead to approach this situation from a different angle and see if Pearce was old enough to appreciate it.


"Pearce, a privilege is something that can be earned and is something that can be taken away. Your going to Awana's on Wednesday night is a privilege. From now on, if you have bad behavior that privilege can be taken away. Being allowed to bring cupcakes to your class on Thursday for your birthday is a privilege, and Mrs. Linda or myself can take that away."


"But I want cupcakes." I was starting to get his attention.


"You are going to be starting soccer soon. It's on Tuesdays and Saturdays. If you don't have good behavior, that privilege can be taken away. Your birthday party on Saturday is a privilege Pearce. It can be taken away too."


"I want my party."


"Pearce, I am not required as your mom to give you a birthday party, take you to soccer practice, take cupcakes to your class, or take you to Awanas. Those are privileges. In Mrs. Linda's class, she awards privileges based on your behavior like mommy does. Your responsibility is to listen and obey the first time she tells you to do something AND to do your best work. Do you understand me?"


"Yes, ma'am."


"Really the only right you have in Pre-K 4 is the right to breathe." Part of me wanted to pull a Bill Huxtable and say, "And I can take that away too," but he's too young to appreciate it.


"Pearce, you are one of the oldest kids in your class, and I expect you to be a good example. I expect your best work. I know you can listen and obey when you choose to. I expect to get a good report when I pick you up this afternoon, or I will start removing privileges. You've already lost your TV and music for the week."


Our society has become driven about their own rights without stepping up and fulfilling their responsibilities, their duties.


When God created man, what rights did He give them? What privileges did they have? What responsibilities did they have?


He gave them the right to eat of any tree except for the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil in the center of the garden. The privilege is they had the most intimate relationship with God than anyone has ever experienced since creation. A relationship without barriers, without sin. Their responsibility was to maintain the Garden of Eden. How wonderful it must have been.


So, what are our privileges, rights and responsibilities now? Do we have the right to expect an easy life? No, the Bible says in this world we will have troubles. Do we have the privilege of having a personal relationship with Jesus Christ? Absolutely. It's a choice and a privilege. What is our responsibility? Tell others, encourage others. allow others to see Jesus through us. There are so many places I could go with this...I just think we as Christians take a lot of things for granted and assume a lot.

I pray that God shows us all mercy like Pearce experienced the second day of Pre-K 4.

Sorry if this ending is a little abrupt and doesn't flow as easily as I would like, but my husband and children have been violently ill over the past 24 hours resulting in my getting only two hours of sleep last night and a two hour nap today.

Good night, all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comments.