Sunday, August 16, 2009

Shouldn't Rock a Baby If It Isn't Your Baby to Rock


Who can resist a cute, round, cherub of a baby? You just want to pick that little dahlin' up, kiss those cheeks, look into those eyes, and just love on that baby. My Erin came into this world with very round cheeks, and my husband called her "Squirrel" from early on. Pearce, on the other hand, was only skin, bones and nose, but he quickly fattened up and looked like a sumo wrestler. I love round babies...they just look healthy! I love bald babies and those toothless grins they give. I could just eat them up.




But my title is NOT referring to those kind of babies. One of my favorite sayings is "If it isn't your baby to rock, don't rock it." Meaning, if the problem isn't your problem, if the situation isn't yours then DO NOT CLAIM IT. DO NOT PICK IT UP. Because in this instance, if you pick up someone else's problems they are just likely to let you handle it to fruition. You'll be paying for that baby till it graduates college. Do you need another thing on your plate? NO! So, the next time you find yourself trying to butt into someone else's situation, just back yo' tiny hiney right on out of it. Put your nose on your own face and in your own business.




As women we take on so many things that can be avoided. Sometimes we take it on because we think, "If it is going to be done right, I'd better do it myself." As if there is only one right way to do a thing. If you think your way is the only way to do it right, sista, let me tell you it's this big baby called VANITY -- let it go. Let God handle it.




Sometimes we take on something because we think we can handle it because we are strong. After all, you've heard the saying, "I am woman hear me roar." Here's the reality, when we take on too many things you can only keep those plates spinning for so long before one, then another and another will fall and break. Will it be your family you sacrifice? Your health? Something will give. I assure you. It always does. Sista, this baby is called SELF-RELIANCE, and it is not Biblical. Does the Bible say when we are strong then He is strong? NO! God tells us when we are WEAK then HE can become STRONG. His strength is perfected in our weakness. Do you really want to rely on yourself or cast your burdens on Christ?




Sometimes we pick up babies (aka problems) because we feel guilty for saying the enormous word NO. Why is it so hard for women to say "no"? We don't want to disappoint. We don't want to let someone think less of us or that we are weak. COME ON! Who cares what THEY think!? We are here to serve the One. Practice saying the word "no" out loud. Say it over and over again till you get use to saying it, that way when you hear yourself saying it out loud in a conversation you won't be surprised. Practice different ways of saying "no." "No thank you." "No, I can't be on that committee." (Do you need to give them a reason -- NO) "No, I cannot help you with organizing a bake sell." "No, I cannot keep your children." DO NOT say, "I'd like to, but..." It is okay to say "no," and then walk away. There are times when you may say, "I'm already committed elsewhere, and my primary ministry is in my home."




One more thing about the word "no." It's okay to tell your children "no." It will not kill them. It will actually prepare them for the real world.




So, ladies, if you have picked up something that isn't your baby to rock, PUT IT DOWN and RUN THE OTHER DIRECTION! It is for the health of your family and for yourself. Aren't they worth it?

1 comment:

  1. Oh how true this is girlie!! I am learning this "art" in this season of my life. My time is precious and so the tasks I lend it too shoul be too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments.