Monday, August 17, 2009

Wants To Hear, "You are a good mom." "Mommy Buddies" are a blessing.

Erin is in the shower singing a praise and worship song, and Pearce is in the bathtub using his imagination and making sound effects. This is when I enjoy being a mom, but let's face it, it's not this relaxed at my house on a regular basis. After all, I'm raising two children who can be quite opposite, and one who has the propensity for pushing every button under the sun to keep his sister at her all-time drama high.


There are days when I am pushed to my wits end -- which can be a short trip. I feel more like a referee than a mom. I'm quoting my mother now, "If there is going to be bloodshed, take it outside." That always seemed to thwart mine and Lori's argument.


Have you ever been so exhausted or reached the point where it feels like every neuron in your body is firing at the same time just to have them start jumping on the last remaining frayed nerve? I have snapped. Sent them to bed without supper. Sent them to their rooms to stay the remainder of the day. And then, I've just plum lost my mind at times.


It's after these times that my sister and I call each other. We allow each other to vent, rant, rave, cry knowing that the other is still going to love our kids despite what we've said. And then once we're done letting it all out and feel like a shell, the other one says, "You're a good mom. You love your kids. You keep them healthy. You are teaching them about God and to love God." And we say other reaffirming but true statements. If you don't have someone who will reaffirm you, encourage you, love you when you feel like you are the biggest disappointment of a parent, I encourage you to find a "Mommy Buddy" who will speak truth into your life with love when you need it the most. You shouldn't swim without a buddy. You shouldn't go hiking in an unknown area without a buddy. You shouldn't hunt without a buddy, and you shouldn't parent without a buddy -- in the form of a woman who is in the trenches with you and fighting her own battles.


I can't tell you how helpful and healing and encouraging it is to hear, "You are a good mom." Because it doesn't matter what I do at work or where I volunteer at church. Because my primary ministry is in my home.


Ladies, God doesn't expect us to be perfect. He knew we weren't going to be perfect before He made us, and yet, He made us anyway. Just do the best with what you have and what you know. I have such a greater appreciation for God as the Father since becoming a parent and my children having reached the age of having their own opinions on things (BTW, I'm sure that is a genetic trait! :>).




Thankfully, our God is a forgiving and loving God. He gives us the tools we need to be the women He wants us to be, so just do your best and rely on Him for the rest whether it is with kids or with life in general. God bless.

2 comments:

  1. A mommy buddy, huh? I like the concept. Oh and how children give us lessons about God and how He deals with us -- an interesting mirror my children are. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that 'momma buddy' idea. Enjoyed reading the blog. You are not alone in this battle to raise Godly children. Thanks for encouraging me as well.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments.